All about cats

What age do cats stop growing

Cats stop growing when they reach their final adult size and weight. But to understand this we need to know what the average size and weight of a cat is.

Adult size and weight

Cats are built for speed and agility, so they don't grow to a large size.

At birth, a cat weighs between 1-2.6kg (2.2-5.8lbs). For the first six months of their lives, they grow at a steady rate of about 1-2 per cent per month. After this, their growth rate slows down and they become sexually mature by the time they are 18 months old.

Body size of cats

The average cat is between 4.5-5.5kg (10-12lbs) and the heaviest cat recorded was 9kg (20lbs).

Origin of 'cat size'

Cats have been domesticated for thousands of years. In ancient Egypt, the Pharaohs had cat mummies with the head of a cat and the body of a human. When the cat mummies were unwrapped, they were found to be cats.

Facts about cats

Cats can hear sounds up to half a mile away.

Cats have about 30,000 hairs on their body.

Only about 10% of a cat's body is muscle, with the remaining 90% being fat.

A cat's heart rate can be measured between 150 and 180 beats per minute.

A cat's vocal cords are located just behind the outer third of the throat.

A cat can see in the infrared spectrum and can see in the ultraviolet spectrum.

A cat's brain is only about 1/14th of the size of a human's brain.

A male cat can father one to four kittens in a single litter.

The average life span of a cat is about 12 to 15 years.

A cat's urine is sterile - it does not contain any living organisms.

Cats have about 1000 teeth, but can grow a new set every two weeks.

A cat's eyes are more rounded than a human's and are positioned differently to give them better depth perception.

A cat's neck is flexible, but not as flexible as a dog's.

Cats have no sweat glands, so they have to pant to cool down.

Cats blink their eyes 60 times a minute.

A cat's heart beats around 100,000 times a year.

Cats see in colour.

Cats have binocular vision and can see double images.

Cats have a special organ called the 'Jacobson's organ' in the roof of their mouths. This helps them to taste.

Cats have whiskers to help them hunt.

See more

Your Complete Guide to Kitten & Adult Cat Vaccinations. Read more

Q: With the advent of the color TV, something else started appearing in color. Do you know what it is? Read more

I guess old age for a cat is the same as for a person - your cat would be 84 cat years old - not exactly a spring chicken any more so it's to be expected he'd start to lose his activness! Honestly, none of my cats have gotten overly old, something has always happened (my old neighbour trapped one of my cats so he could have yabby bait - a very depressing time for me) or they've run away or been stolen so i've never had a cat live past about 5 or 6 years old. Read more

Meowing is an interesting vocalization in that adult cats don’t actually meow at each other, just at people. Kittens meow to let their mother know they’re cold or hungry, but once they get a bit older, cats no longer meow to other cats. But they continue to meow to people throughout their lives, probably because meowing gets people to do what they want. Read more

Leave your comment

Name
Comment